Over the past ten games, Chris Shaw has 19 hits, including six doubles and all five of his season's home runs.
Shaw's incredible start to 2016 resurfaced memories of Brandon Belt in his first pro season with the San Jose Giants. I compared the two, only to find that Belt's numbers were even more absurd, mostly due to his high walk count.
- 2016 Shaw: .364/.430/.648, 32 H, 10 2B, 5 HR, 20 RBI, 9 BB, 21 K
- 2010 Belt: .432/.542/.676, 32 H, 9 2B, 3 HR, 17 RBI, 18 BB, 8 K
A reminder that those stats are just through the first 23 games. While it's Shaw posting slightly better power numbers, Belt was a more challenging at-bat for pitchers due to his 16.6 percent strikeout rate, and he walked almost as frequently. Belt reached Triple-A by season's end, and wound up in San Francisco the next year, but Shaw won't move that quickly because of Belt, of course. However, he may eventually prove to be too advanced for California League pitchers and be assigned to Richmond at some point this season.
— Jose Casilla, younger brother of Giants' closer Santiago Casilla, made his Triple-A debut with the Sacramento River Cats on Tuesday after 10 seasons in the organization. He pitched a perfect seventh inning in relief of Clayton Blackburn, using 10 pitches (8 strikes) to strikeout one batter and force two ground balls.
— Tyler Horan seems worthy of more playing time in Richmond, considering his three home runs in 43 plate appearances. He boasts a .324/.395/.595 slash line, and should continue to get at-bats if Austin Slater remains out of the lineup with an unknown injury.
TOP-30 PROSPECTS ROUNDUP
- Christian Arroyo: 0-for-7, SO
- Tyler Beede: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Phil Bickford: DNP
- Lucius Fox: DNP
- Chris Shaw: 2-for-4, R, HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB
- Sam Coonrod: DNP
- Mac Williamson: DNP
- Aramis Garcia: DNP
- Andrew Suarez: DNP
- Adalberto Mejia: DNP
- Clayton Blackburn: 6 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 7 K
- Jalen Miller: DNP
- Ray Black: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Chase Johnson: DNP
- Jordan Johnson: DNP
- Steven Okert: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Kyle Crick: 5 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
- Jarrett Parker: 1-for-3, 2 RBI, BB
- Hunter Cole: 2-for-6, R, 2B, BB, SO
- Austin Slater: DNP
- Joan Gregorio: DNP
- Michael Santos: DNP
- Ty Blach: DNP
- Mac Marshall: DNP
- Ronnie Jebavy: DNP
- Derek Law: DNP
- Chris Stratton: DNP
- Ian Gardeck: DNP
- Jake Smith: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Dylan Davis: DNP