Austin Slater utilized all forms of getting on base Saturday in Colorado Springs. Out of six total times, Slater recorded four hits, including a double and a home run, walked, and was hit by a pitch, as well.
The outfielder from Stanford has now eclipsed 400 plate appearances in Triple-A since receiving the call-up last season, and owns an impressive .302/.379/.480 batting line. He's done this while striking out 18.6 percent of the time, and drawing walks at a 10.8 percent clip.
Slater has 520 innings logged in center field in the minor leagues, including 69.2 (nine games) this year. With the continued lack of production from Gorkys Hernandez, Slater could be a potential replacement. But I would hate to see another prospect make the major league roster only to play every third or fourth day. Justin Ruggiano is off to a solid start through 20 plate appearances, and with his track record against left-handers (.867 career OPS), he's likely to continue to get the majority of starts in left field.
— Left-hander Garrett Williams made his season debut for the Augusta GreenJackets on Saturday, throwing two innings in relief of Caleb Baragar. Williams struck out three while giving up a hit and a walk, while Baragar's five innings featured five hits, two walks, and four strikeouts.
— Miguel Gomez is slowly increasing his isolated slugging percentage in an attempt to get it closer to marks he posted last season in Augusta and San Jose. With his third home run of the year, Gomez is now slugging .455 with a batting average of .325, giving him an ISO of .130.
— In a doubleheader, Cory Taylor and Matt Gage pitched well to give the Flying Squirrels a shot in both games. The right-hander Taylor allowed no runs on two hits and three walks over five innings, though the Richmond offense couldn't get it going. Gage went all seven regulation innings, striking out six and giving up a single run. Richmond scored three runs in the 8th before Tyler Cyr closed things out.
- Sacramento: Michael Roth (4.88 ERA, 1.84 WHIP)
- Richmond: Jordan Johnson (2.93 ERA, 1.19 WHIP)
- San Jose: Mark Reyes (5.70 ERA, 1.90 WHIP)
- Augusta: Stephen Woods (2.77 ERA, 1.27 WHIP)
TOP-30 PROSPECTS ROUNDUP
- Tyler Beede: DNP
- Christian Arroyo: DNP
- Bryan Reynolds: 0-for-4, SO
- Steven Duggar: DNP
- Chris Shaw: 0-for-3, BB, SO
- Sandro Fabian: 0-for-5, SO
- Heath Quinn: DNP
- Joan Gregorio: 6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 5 BB, 6 K
- Jordan Johnson: DNP
- Andrew Suarez: DNP
- Ty Blach: DNP
- Sam Coonrod: DNP
- Matt Krook: 4.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 6 K
- Aramis Garcia: 1-for-4, 2B, SO
- C.J. Hinojosa: 1-for-3
- Reyes Moronta: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
- Rodolfo Martinez: DNP
- Austin Slater: 4-for-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, BB, CS
- Kelvin Beltre: 1-for-3, R, BB, SO
- Dan Slania: DNP
- Cory Taylor: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 K
- Chris Stratton: DNP
- Chase Johnson: DNP
- Jalen Miller: 1-for-4
- Melvin Adon: DNP
- Garrett Williams: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Dylan Davis: 2-for-6, R, 2B, BB, 2 SO
- Ryder Jones: DNP
- Hunter Cole: 0-for-3, SO
- Miguel Gomez: 2-for-7, R, HR