The outfield duo of Bryan Reynolds and Heath Quinn stepped to the plate a combined 11 times Sunday afternoon in Modesto, and the Nuts sent one of them back to the dugout only once — and it came in the ninth inning.
Reynolds, marred by an early-season slump that has kept his isolated slugging percentage much lower than one might have anticipated in the power-friendly California League, went 5-for-6 with a double and a triple. He increased his OPS by 56 points with the five-hit performance, now slashing .281/.337/.399. Reynolds still has a ways to go, as that line still looks quite underwhelming for him. Hopefully this game pushes him into a hot June and rest of the summer.
Though one bright spot or Reynolds is that he's striking out in four percent fewer plate appearances than he did in his debut season a year ago.
For Quinn, he reached base in all five of his plate appearances, recording a home run, a double, a single, and two walks. Quinn, who led the Northwest League last year in wRC+, owns a 231 mark through his first six games.
— It's been a rough season thus far for flame-throwing right-hander Rodolfo Martinez. He's allowed at least one baserunner in each of his first five outings and has thrown 18 or more pitches in all five of them. All totaled, he's given up nine hits (three doubles) and five walks in five innings while only recording two strikeouts.
— Stephen Woods reached double digits in strikeouts in his Sunday start, punching out 10 Charleston River Dogs in his seven innings of work. His 26.2 percent strikeout rate is spectacular for a starting pitcher, though his 12.8 percent walk rate needs drastic improvement. Thankfully, at .189, his opposing batting average is the best among starters in the system.
- Sacramento: Dan Slania (7.59 ERA, 1.61 WHIP)
- Richmond: Andrew Suarez (3.12 ERA, 1.31 WHIP)
- San Jose: Conner Menez (3.62 ERA, 1.45 WHIP)
- Augusta: Domenic Mazza (4.95 ERA, 1.28 WHIP)
TOP-30 PROSPECTS ROUNDUP
- Tyler Beede: DNP
- Christian Arroyo: 1-for-4, 2B, 2 SO
- Bryan Reynolds: 5-for-6, R, 2B, 3B
- Steven Duggar: DNP
- Chris Shaw: 1-for-4, SO
- Sandro Fabian: 1-for-3, BB, SO
- Heath Quinn: 3-for-3, 2R, HR, 2 BB
- Joan Gregorio: DNP
- Jordan Johnson: 6.1 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Andrew Suarez: DNP
- Sam Coonrod: DNP
- Matt Krook: DNP
- Aramis Garcia: 0-for-4, BB, SO
- C.J. Hinojosa: 1-for-2
- Reyes Moronta: DNP
- Rodolfo Martinez: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 0 K
- Austin Slater: 0-for-3, SO
- Kelvin Beltre: 0-for-4, SO
- Dan Slania: DNP
- Cory Taylor: DNP
- Chris Stratton: 6.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 5 K
- Chase Johnson: DNP
- Jalen Miller: 2-for-6, 2 R, 2 SO
- Melvin Adon: DNP
- Garrett Williams: DNP
- Dylan Davis: 1-for-4
- Ryder Jones: DNP
- Hunter Cole: DNP
- Miguel Gomez: 1-for-4
- Ryan Howard: 1-for-5, 2 R, BB, 2 SO