The Lancaster winds were blowing and the San Jose Giants took full advantage of them, cranking out nine extra-base hits among 20 total. Ryan Howard led the way in the hit department, collecting four including a double, while Gio Brusa hit his fourth home run in six games.
Brusa is almost fully out of his early-season slump as he creeps closer and closer to his OPS from last season in Salem-Keizer — .794. May has been good to the former University of the Pacific star, as he's slashing .289/.333/.513 while striking out 15 percent less often than April.
Heath Quinn and Jonah Arenado added two doubles each. Quinn has a hit in eight of his first nine games and is rocking a .361/.425/.667 line, while Arenado has raised his OPS by 75 points in the last five games.
And Bryan Reynolds continued his hot streak, going 2-for-5 with his second home run of the year. The switch hitter has increased his OPS 113 points in the last nine games.
— I tuned in to D.J. Snelten's Triple-A debut on Wednesday. He entered to start the eighth inning in relief of seven frames from Joan Gregorio. Things got off to a predictable start as the organizational leader in ground ball percentage threw his sinker low in the zone and forced a one-pitch, ground-ball out. Then Kelby Tomlinson impressively ran down a fly ball in right-center field, followed by a lengthy plate appearance from Carson Kelly who fouled off at least four of Snelten's well-placed sinkers before drawing a walk. Snelten's one mistake was leaving a sinker up to Harrison Bader who clubbed a no-doubter to straight away left field. Another soft ground ball ended the inning.
— The Augusta GreenJackets were rained out for the third consecutive day, washing out a starting-pitching debut for Raffi Vizcaino. Hopefully the GreenJackets and the Rome Braves can get in some baseball today as the forecast calls for just a 20% chance of rain.
- Sacramento: Michael Roth (4.54 ERA, 1.69 WHIP)
- Richmond: Cory Taylor (4.29 ERA, 1.49 WHIP)
- San Jose: Matt Krook (8.61 ERA, 2.39 WHIP)
- Augusta: D.J. Myers (3.72 ERA, 1.35 WHIP)
TOP-30 PROSPECTS ROUNDUP
- Tyler Beede: DNP
- Christian Arroyo: 0-for-4, 2 SO
- Bryan Reynolds: 2-for-5, R, HR
- Steven Duggar: DNP
- Chris Shaw: DNP
- Sandro Fabian: DNP
- Heath Quinn: 2-for-5, R, 2 2B
- Joan Gregorio: 7 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 1 BB, 2 K
- Jordan Johnson: DNP
- Andrew Suarez: DNP
- Sam Coonrod: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K
- Matt Krook: DNP
- Aramis Garcia: 2-for-5
- C.J. Hinojosa: 1-for-3
- Reyes Moronta: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
- Rodolfo Martinez: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Austin Slater: 2-for-4, BB, SO
- Kelvin Beltre: DNP
- Dan Slania: DNP
- Cory Taylor: DNP
- Chris Stratton: DNP
- Chase Johnson: DNP
- Jalen Miller: 0-for-4, R, 2 BB
- Melvin Adon: DNP
- Garrett Williams: DNP
- Dylan Davis: 0-for-4, BB
- Ryder Jones: 2-for-4, 2 R, BB, SO
- Hunter Cole: 0-for-4, 3 SO
- Miguel Gomez: 2-for-5, 2B, SO
- Ryan Howard: 4-for-5, R, 2B