With the Giants deciding to limit the innings of 22-year-old left-hander Matt Krook, a new role was formed for the remainder of the 2017 season. Starting with a two-inning appearance on August 3 in the sixth and seventh inning, Krook began his late-season transition into middle-relief with an emphasis on long relief when necessary.
Krook brought his innings total since the move to 13.2 on Tuesday with three solid frames against the Visalia Rawhide. In six outings, Krook has an ERA of 1.32 with 19 strikeouts and 13 baserunners (six hits, seven walks).
The former Oregon pitcher has been especially good in his last three outings considering he's totaled 25 swinging strikes among his 107 pitches. At 23.7%, almost one out of every four pitches Krook has thrown has produced a swing-through.
Overall in 2017, Krook is still allowing far too many walks at 16.8%, but it is down from 19.0% in 2016 with Salem-Keizer. Plus he's lowered his opposing batting average from .257 with the Volcanoes to .220 with San Jose, as well as a 1.5% increase in strikeout rate.
— Steven Duggar was promoted to Triple-A Sacramento and has played in two ballgames going 2-for-7 with two singles, a walk, and four strikeouts. He's also stolen two bases, giving him nine in 33 games since returning from injury at the end of June.
— Jacob Gonzalez crushed his first pro home run on Monday in a 3-for-4 night that also included his 15th double. He posted this awesome angle of the dinger on his Instagram. Also worth noting: through 164 plate appearances in the AZL, Gonzalez has more walks (16) than strikeouts (15).
— One of many former Giants' prospects who has returned in 2017, right-hander Cody Hall, has been pitching well for the Richmond Flying Squirrels. Over his last 12 innings, Hall has allowed 10 hits, one run, and four walks with 20 strikeouts. That gives him a 40.8 K% with a 0.75 ERA during that stretch and a 35.3 K% and 2.18 ERA since rejoining the club on June 28.
- Richmond: Cory Taylor (4.64 ERA, 1.49 WHIP)
- San Jose: Shaun Anderson (3.47 ERA, 1.11 WHIP)
- Augusta (1): Jose Morel (4.23 ERA, 1.35 WHIP)
- Augusta (2): D.J. Myers (3.75 ERA, 1.49 WHIP)
- Salem-Keizer: TBD
TOP-30 PROSPECTS ROUNDUP
- Christian Arroyo: DNP
- Tyler Beede: DNP
- Chris Shaw: DNP
- Heliot Ramos: DNP
- Bryan Reynolds: 1-for-5, R, HR, 2 SO
- Austin Slater: DNP
- Steven Duggar: 1-for-4, R, 3 SO, SB
- Aramis Garcia: DNP
- Sandro Fabian: 2-for-4, 2B, BB, SO
- Heath Quinn: 2-for-4, 2B, BB, SO
- Andrew Suarez: 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 4 K
- Joan Gregorio: DNP
- Seth Corry: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 4 R, 4 BB, 2 K
- Ryder Jones: 1-for-2
- Jacob Gonzalez: 3-for-5, R, 2B
- C.J. Hinojosa: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Shaun Anderson: DNP
- Kyle Crick: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
- Garrett Cave: DNP
- Garrett Williams: 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K
- Sam Coonrod: DNP
- Jordan Johnson: DNP
- Melvin Adon: DNP
- Miguel Gomez: DNP
- Kelvin Beltre: 2-for-5, 2B, SO
- Matt Krook: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 5 K
- Reyes Moronta: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K
- Rodolfo Martinez: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
- Stephen Woods: DNP
- Bryce Johnson: 1-for-5, SO