As a weekly reminder of who's doing good things down in the minors, Giant Potential will name a "Prospect of the Week" every Thursday afternoon, along with a few honorable mentions, highlighting the best of San Francisco Giants hopefuls. It's week ten, and we'll honor a relief pitcher this week. It's Augusta GreenJackets right-hander, and Bay Area native, Tyler Cyr.
- Age: 23
- Hometown: Fremont, Calif.
- Height/Weight: 6'3", 200 lbs.
- Drafted: 2015, 10th round
- School: Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Key Stats: 3 G, 6.1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 13 K, 52.0 StS%
The Augusta GreenJackets' go-to long-relief guy Tyler Cyr had quite a week. It all started when he struck out the side in an eighth-inning appearance on June 9 where he threw only 11 pitches. Two days later, he produced a ridiculous 23 swinging strikes in 3.2 innings, racking up seven strikeouts in the process. Over the course of the week, which included one more outing, Cyr struck out 13 of the 19 batters he faced, and compiled a 52 percent swinging strike percentage.
With a FIP of 2.45, Cyr is ranked fifth in the entire Giants organization, and is fifth in the South Atlantic League among pitchers who have thrown more than 40 innings. And in terms of strikeouts-per-nine-innings, Cyr is tops in the organization (11.5) among pitchers with more than 25 innings.
Cyr might be in need of a promotion to San Jose, or at least a shot in the GreenJackets' starting rotation, where Michael Santos, Grant Watson, Mac Marshall, and Logan Webb are all injured. He has averaged almost 2.2 innings per outing, and has gone three or more innings eight of 18 times. My guess is we'll see a different role for Cyr after the All-Star break. They've got to utilize his value.
(*No highlights yet from Cyr's 2016 campaign in Augusta. But here's how he looked at minor league camp in March.)
- OF Hunter Cole: 8 H, 2 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, .364 AVG, .727 SLG
- OF Dylan Davis: 9 H, 2 2B, 2 HR, .360 AVG, .680 SLG, 7.1 K%
- OF Seth Harrison: 8 H, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, .636 SLG, 7.7 K%
- 1B Angeddy Almanzar: 8 H, 3 2B, .296 AVG, 14.3 K%
- OF Ronnie Jebavy: 9 H, 1 2B, .310 AVG, 2 SB
- RHP Michael Connolly: 2 GS, 13.1 IP, 12 H, 2 BB, 12 K, 1.35 ERA
- RHP Sam Coonrod: 1 GS, 8 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 8 K, 21 StS
— For the latest on #SFGiants minor leaguers, follow @Giant_Potential on Twitter