As a weekly reminder of who's doing good things down in the minors, Giant Potential will name a "Prospect of the Week" every Thursday afternoon, along with a few honorable mentions, highlighting the best of San Francisco Giants hopefuls. It's week twelve, because we skipped a week for the All-Star Break for San Jose and Augusta. This week, we'll honor a player who's been tearing it up all season. It's Augusta GreenJackets third baseman Miguel Gomez.
- Age: 23
- Hometown: Santo Domingo, D.R.
- Height/Weight: 5'10", 185 lbs.
- Signed: 2012
- Key Stats: 12 H, 3 HR, 8 RBI, .387 AVG, 11.8 K%
Potentially the prospect of the year for the Giants is Augusta GreenJackets third baseman Miguel Gomez. He leads the organization with a wRC+ of 154 and a wOBA of .404. (More on these two stats under the "Statistics" tab.) His .352 average going into Thursday's game is not a culmination of a few super hot weeks, but a steady supply of hits on a nightly basis. But arguably his hottest stretch came in the last seven days, where the 23-year-old native of the Dominican Republic hit three home runs, among 12 total hits in seven games. He had a four-hit night, along with three two-hit nights, and only struck out four times in 34 plate appearances.
One important note about Gomez is that he has been the designated hitter more than any other Giants minor leaguer this season, but over the last several weeks, he's gotten a steady supply of work at third base, including 15 of his last 17 games. He has been DH only four of 24 June games, after a month of May where he was DH 18 of 27 games.
The switch hitter gets more work from the left side; 169 plate appearances to just 60 from the right side. But he's shown solid contact against left-handers with a .386 average.
- OF Hunter Cole: 8 H, 5 2B, 1 HR, .381 AVG, .762 SLG
- OF Tyler Horan: 6 H, 1 2B, 3 HR, .696 SLG
- OF Steven Duggar: 9 H, 1 2B, .346 AVG
- 1B Chris Shaw: 8 H, 2 2B, 2 HR, 7 RBI, .593 SLG
- OF Ashford Fulmer: 7 H, 2 2B, .368 AVG, .455 OBP, 13.6 K%
- OF Shawon Dunston: 9 H, 3 2B, .391 AVG, .522 SLG, 3.7 K%
- RHP Tyler Beede: 2 GS, 13.2 IP, 7 H, 4 BB, 16 K, 0.66 ERA, 0.805 WHIP
- LHP Ty Blach: 1 GS, 9 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
— For the latest on #SFGiants minor leaguers, follow @Giant_Potential on Twitter