As a weekly reminder of who's doing good things down in the minors, Giant Potential will name a "Prospect of the Week" every Thursday afternoon, along with a few honorable mentions, highlighting the best of San Francisco Giants hopefuls. It's week fifteen, and this week we'll honor our first 2016 draftee — former Miami Hurricanes outfielder Jacob Heyward.
OF, Jacob Heyward
- Age: 20
- Hometown: McDonough, Ga.
- Height/Weight: 6'3", 210 lbs.
- Drafted: 2016, 18th round
- School: University iof Miami (FL)
- Key Stats: 5 H, 2 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 6 BB, .750 SLG
You would be hard-pressed to find a more impressive start to their professional career than that of Giants' 2016 18th-round pick Jacob Heyward. The younger brother of Chicago Cubs outfielder Jason Heyward, Jacob was a late signing (June 28) but burst onto the scene with six hits, including two doubles and two triples in his first 10 plate appearances. To date, he's racked up 12 extra-base hits in 11 games, bringing his slugging percentage to .878 in 53 plate appearances.
Maybe even more impressive is the eight walks he's drawn thus far, including an intentional walk. His .566 on-base percentage also includes four hit-by-pitches. In his final year at Miami, when he struggled to a .242 batting average in 215 at-bats, he kept his on-base percentage at a crazy-high .403 thanks to 48 walks.
Playing left field, Heyward hasn't yet recorded an outfield assist, but threw up to 94 mph as a pitcher in high school, so we at least know his arm is strong. His arm overall has a reputation of being average, which leads me to believe his accuracy is likely a bit subpar. He's built for power at 6'3", 210 pounds, but I see him as being less of a power threat than his older brother. His plus speed will help him leg out plenty of doubles and triples, and be a basestealing annoyance, as well. He has four steals so far with the AZL club.
- SS C.J. Hinojosa: 10 H, 2 2B, .370 AVG, 10.7 K%
- OF Dylan Davis: 6 H, 1 2B, 3 HR, .656 SLG
- OF Johneshwy Fargas: 6 H, 1 2B, 1 3B, 5 SB, 11.8 K%
- OF Cristian Paulino: 7 H, 1 2B, 1 3B, .333 AVG, 4.8 K%
- RHP Jake McCasland: 7 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K (no-hitter)
- LHP Adalberto Mejia: 2 GS, 11.1 IP, 9 H, 2 BB, 11 K, 0.971 WHIP
- RHP Chris Stratton: 8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 12 K
— For the latest on #SFGiants minor leaguers, follow @Giant_Potential on Twitter