As a weekly reminder of who's doing good things down in the minors, Giant Potential will name a "Prospect of the Week" every Thursday afternoon, along with a few honorable mentions, highlighting the best of San Francisco Giants hopefuls. It's week sixteen, and this week we'll honor a recent promoter. From Augusta, Ga. to San Jose, Calif. went outfielder Dylan Davis, who has hit nine home runs since joining his new club.
OF, Dylan Davis
- Age: 23
- Hometown: Redmond, Wash.
- Height/Weight: 6'0", 205 lbs.
- Drafted: 2014, 3rd round
- College: Oregon State
- Key Stats: 11 H, 3 2B, 3 HR, .821 SLG, 12.5 BB%
The raw power of Dylan Davis has finally arrived, and all it took was a promotion to the homer-happy California League to see what he could do. To give him the credit he deserves, Davis was already slugging a career-best .496 in the South Atlantic League before being called up to Advanced-A ball at the end of June, and the power has only increased since. In half the amount of plate appearances it took Davis to hit eight home runs for the GreenJackets, Davis has already hit nine in San Jose. At an overall total of 17, Davis is now tied with Chris Shaw for the organizational lead.
Davis' strikeout rate is down to 20.8 percent from last year's 25.4 mark, or his pro debut of 26.1 in 2014. Davis hadn't finished a season with a slugging percentage over .400, and now almost 400 plate appearances into 2016, he sits comfortably at .530 with a wOBA of .392 and wRC+ of 145. There's no reason to believe the Giants will have Davis begin the 2017 season in San Jose, so a Richmond placement out of camp puts him on pace to break into the big leagues around September 2018 if things continue to progress.
- OF Ronnie Jebavy: 10 H, 3 2B, 1 3B, 2 SB, .400 AVG, 13.8 BB%
- OF Steven Duggar: 12 H, 1 2B, 5 BB, 3 SB, .500 AVG, 10.0 K%
- C Andrew Susac: 8 H, 1 3B, 2 HR, .842 SLG, 13.6 BB%
- 1B Skyler Ewing: 8 H, 3 HR, .364 AVG, .773 SLG, 8.3 K%
- 1B Ryan Kirby: 8 H, 1 2B, 2 HR, .714 SLG, 13.0 K%
- OF Heath Quinn: 8 H, 2 HR, 4 BB, .448 OBP, 10.3 K%
- RHP Pat Ruotolo: 2 G, 3 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 7 K
- RHP Dan Slania: 8 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
— For the latest on #SFGiants minor leaguers, follow @Giant_Potential on Twitter