As a weekly reminder of who's doing good things down in the minors, Giant Potential will name a "Prospect of the Week" every Thursday afternoon, along with a few honorable mentions, highlighting the best of San Francisco Giants hopefuls. It's week 17, and this week we'll honor the current holder of a 16-game hitting streak. The centerfielder has transitioned from Single-A to Double-A with ease, and is rising up prospect lists. It's former Clemson Tiger Steven Duggar.
CF, Steven Duggar
- Age: 22
- Hometown: Moore, S.C.
- Height/Weight: 6'2", 195 lbs.
- Drafted: 2015, 6th round
- School: Clemson
- Key Stats: 10 H, 3 2B, 18.5 K%, .385 AVG
Since being promoted alongside Chris Shaw and C.J. Hinojosa to Double-A at the end of June, Steven Duggar has shown no signs of slowing down his already-outstanding 2016 season. He left San Jose with a .284/.386/.462 slash line that included an organizational-leading 44 walks. His walk rate is down from 14.1 percent in Single-A to 9.4 percent since joining the Flying Squirrels, but that partly due to Duggar being more aggressive at the plate — and benefiting from it, too.
Duggar is hitting .325 since the promotion and is striking out eight percent less often. So, swinging the bat more often and making contact more often will certainly lower your strikeout and walk rates, but if your batting average is going up, it means you're making good contact, as well.
Over the past six games, in which he has built upon his hitting streak, Duggar has been hitting the ball all over the yard, including the run-scoring, opposite-field double in the highlight below. On Thursday night, Duggar picked up two more hits, making it 16 games in a row with a hit and 30 hits and eight walks in his last 76 plate appearances. That makes a nice, even .500 on-base percentage over basically half a month. Consistent at-bats like this in the Eastern League tend to be a good sign for a major-league future.
- CF Austin Slater: 8 H, 2 HR, .333 AVG, .625 SLG
- CF Ronnie Jebavy: 10 H, 2 2B, 1 HR, 4 SB, .313 AVG
- 1B Chris Shaw: 7 H, 1 2B, 2 3B, 3 BB, .417 OBP
- INF T.J. Bennett: 9 H, 2 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 4 BB, 2 SB, .696 SLG
- RHP Clayton Blackburn: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- RHP Sam Coonrod: 12.1 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 8 K, 1.46 ERA, .186 OBA
- LHP Domenic Mazza: 13 IP, 9 H, 0 ER, 4 BB, 9 K, .188 OBA, .229 SLG
- RHP D.J. Myers: 9.1 IP, 10 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 8 K, 1.93 ERA, .306 SLG
— For the latest on #SFGiants minor leaguers, follow @Giant_Potential on Twitter