As a weekly reminder of who's doing good things down in the minors, Giant Potential will name a "Prospect of the Week" every Thursday afternoon (sometimes Friday morning), along with a few honorable mentions (six this week!), highlighting the best of San Francisco Giants hopefuls. It's week seven, and for the first time we have a repeat honoree. Once again, it's Richmond Flying Squirrels centerfielder Austin Slater.
- Age: 23
- Hometown: Jacksonville, Fla.
- Height/Weight: 6'2", 215 lbs
- Drafted: 2014, 8th round
- College: Stanford University
- Key Stats: 2 2B, 2 HR, 11 RBI, .870 SLG, 10.3 K%
Austin Slater is turning heads in the Eastern League. He entered Thursday's game, in which he got a well-deserved day off, fifth in the league in slugging percentage with a .516 mark. Over the last seven games, he clubbed two home runs (both in the same game) as well as two doubles among six other hits. He slashed .435/.483/.870 over the stretch, while driving in 11 runs and striking out just 10.3 percent of the time. The week built upon an already impressive month of May, too. His line for the second month of the season is now up at .437/.500/.737, and as a direct result, he now leads the league in batting average at .323.
The organization hasn't had a player hit this well, in terms of contact and power, in the Eastern League since Brandon Belt joined the Flying Squirrels for 46 games after tearing up the California League to begin that year. Belt, in 201 plate appearances, slugged .623 with 11 doubles and nine home runs, to go along with a .339 batting average.
- 1B Chris Shaw: 11 H, 3 2B, 3 HR, 9 RBI, .423 AVG, .885 SLG
- RF Mac Williamson: 10 H, 5 2B, 2 HR, .345 AVG, .724 SLG
- SS Christian Arroyo: 11 H, 3 2B, 1 HR, .393 AVG, .607 SLG
- 2B Jalen Miller: 9 H, 1 2B, 2 3B, 7 RBI, .391 AVG, 13.0 K%
- RHP Clayton Blackburn: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 5 K, 0.00 ERA, 0.667 WHIP
- LHP Adalberto Mejia: 7 IP, 4 H, 0 BB, 6 K, 0.00 ERA, 0.571 WHIP
— For the latest on #SFGiants minor leaguers, follow @Giant_Potential on Twitter