As a weekly reminder of who's doing good things down in the minors, Giant Potential will name a "Prospect of the Week" every Thursday afternoon, along with a few honorable mentions, highlighting the best of San Francisco Giants hopefuls. On to week six, where San Jose Giants second baseman Brandon Bednar collected 11 hits in six games.
- Age: 24
- Hometown: Stuart, Fla.
- Height/Weight: 6'4", 195 lbs
- Drafted: 2013, 7th round
- College: Florida Gulf Coast University
- Key Stats: 11 H, 1 2B, 1 HR, .423 AVG, 18.5 K%, 0 E
Brandon Bednar might be 1.6 years older than the average California League player, but he's certainly making his presence known on an offensive-powered team that makes it easy to get lost in the crowd. The 24-year-old from Florida, who is in his second full season with the Class-A Advanced affiliate, collected 11 hits, including a double and a home run, during his last six games. He's currently on an eight-game hitting streak, part of a month of May where he is averaging .315 at the plate following a .233 April.
His defense has been solid, too, playing 28 games at second base (two others at shortstop) and making just three errors (98.1 FLD%) at his usual position. He has the fewest errors of any regular infielder (non-first base) in San Jose, and only Ali Castillo and Ramiro Peña have fewer errors in the organization among fielders playing 2B/SS/3B.
(*There are currently no highlights of Bednar from the 2016 season, so check out these home runs he hit last year, also with the San Jose Giants.)
- RF Steven Duggar: 8 H, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, .680 SLG, 7 BB, 15.6 K%
- 3B Jonah Arenado: 8 H, 5 2B, 2 HR, .679 SLG, 13.3 K%
- RF Jarrett Parker: 8 H, 1 2B, 3 HR, .500 AVG, 1.125 SLG
- RHP Sam Coonrod: 2 GS, 13 IP, 9 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 6 K, 0.69 ERA
- RHP Tyler Rogers: 3 G, 5 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 0.00 ERA
— For the latest on #SFGiants minor leaguers, follow @Giant_Potential on Twitter