As a weekly reminder of who's doing good things down in the minors, Giant Potential will name a "Prospect of the Week" every Thursday afternoon (sorry, Friday this time), along with a few honorable mentions, highlighting the best of San Francisco Giants hopefuls. For week four, it's San Jose Giants power-hitting first baseman, and last year's conditional first-round pick, Chris Shaw.
- Age: 22
- Hometown: Lexington, Mass.
- Height/Weight: 6'4", 255 lbs
- Draft: 2015, 1st round (31st overall)
- College: Boston College
- Key Stats: 3 2B, 3 HR, 12 RBI, 5 BB, .407 AVG, .852 SLG
What was once an 0-for-10 start with five strikeouts has now turned into one of the most feared hitters in all of the California League. Chris Shaw continued to build upon his strong start to 2016 with a hot seven-day period, spanning seven straight games, where the Boston College product collected 11 hits, including three doubles and three home runs. The streak also included a low point on Wednesday where he went 0-for-5 with four strikeouts. So the numbers are a bit skewed by that outlier.
Shaw is currently tied for the league lead in doubles (10), second in slugging percentage (.649), and third in RBI (23). Assuming he stays healthy, he's on pace, at about a fifth of the way through the season, for quite a display: 181 hits, 55 doubles, 33 home runs, 126 RBI, and 137 strikeouts. That would be on par with Paul Goldschmidt's 2010 in the California League with Visalia:
- 165 H, 42 2B, 35 HR, 108 RBI, 161 SO
Of course, there's always regression, promotion, or just plain old slumps, to go along with injury. So Shaw's start translating out to a 55-double, 33-home run season would be truly awesome.
(*Unfortunately, there are no highlights from this last week. But here are three clips — two from earlier this year and one from late last year.)
- SS C.J. Hinojosa: 13 H, 2 HR, 6 BB, .500 AVG, 12.5 K%
- OF Ryan Lollis: 14 H, 3 2B, 1 HR, 11 RBI, .412 AVG, 8.3 K%
- OF Jarrett Parker: 5 HR, 12 RBI, 1.000 SLG, 10.3 K%
- RHP Rodolfo Martinez: 4 G, 2 SV, 4 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- LHP Andrew Suarez: 2 G, 13.2 IP, 10 H, 2 BB, 14 K, 1.32 ERA
— For the latest on #SFGiants minor leaguers, follow @Giant_Potential on Twitter